Hi everyone! The month of October was so busy between travel conference TBEX and Halloween, I wasn’t even able to write about the blogger award(s) I have received. That’s right, on top of receiving my first sponsored and product review offers, having my blog go semi-viral and reach all time pageview numbers in the range of 10,000, I’ve also been awarded with 2 different blog awards! For this post I am focusing on explaining the Liebster Award I am truly so honored to receive! It’s been hard to contain this level of excitement, watching my little baby of a blog grow into a full-fledged brand and business worthy of these awards. And to think, when I began, it was only my intention to spread my passion for travel and inspire YOU to travel as well!
The Liebster Award is an award given to new bloggers, usually for those that have less than 200 followers, by other bloggers as a way to support each other in our journey to growing and building our blogs. While I have more than 200 followers on all social media accounts, I have less than 200 blog subscribers, which will be my next task to tackle. I’m extremely grateful to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Haley Bradley from Haley’s Vintage Finds and Deals. Please go check out her incredibly awesome site!
WHAT ARE THE RULES?
- Post the award to your blog
- Answer the questions you were given by the person who nominated you
- Nominate a small group of bloggers you have discovered
- Create 10 new questions for the nominees
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link to their blog
HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS THAT HALEY GAVE ME, ALONG WITH MY ANSWERS:
1. Why did you start blogging?
Well, the truth is, I’ve been traveling quite frequently for a good 12 years. I had been talking about HAVING a travel blog for for at least the last 5. I finally just over my fear of failing, my fear of not being perfect, and my fear of being judged and DID IT! And of course, I am bursting at the seams with passion for travel and thoughts on how travel shaped who I am and how travel can do the same for you!
2. How do you stay creative?
Interesting question for a blogger! Sometimes, even I need to feel inspired. I do this by breaking away from my routine and experiencing something new! That can be either by going outside and taking an awesome hike, taking creative pictures, looking at art/going to an art museum, free writing, or meditating. When I start to get bored in my mind, I know it’s time to learn something new or tackle a new hobby! For instance, below was my attempt at aerial silks!
3. Who are your 5 favorite bloggers and why? Only 5?! This is going to be tough! I might have to add more!
- Adventurous Kate! If you haven’t heard of her, get to know her. Not only has she been travel blogging for many years (truly an OG), she’s authentic and has a great sense of humor!
- Lyndsay Hawley over at Livemorehappy is another blogger who inspires me to the core and I had the great pleasure of meeting once! She travels with purpose, often giving back to communities, non-profits and under-privileged children in various countries. I aspire for my blog to become something similar in the near future.
- Mimi Rose over at The Atlas Heart is someone I have personally met that exudes charm and travel inspiration straight from the heart. Watch out for this one! Her eye for design and writing style are evident if you visit her blog and her love of slow travel is something I admire.
- I had the chance to share a room with Maggie Garvin from Mags on the Move while at the TBEX travel blogging conference, and not only is she quirky and down-to-earth, I’ve been a fan of her offbeat and unique blog for a while.
- I met Will Tang at Travel Blog Breakthrough while at the Affiliate Summit and he is the most helpful person in regards to building your travel blog. He has never turned me down for assistance, and his ultimate goal is to help others succeed in travel blogging! It’s clear to me he gives back in droves, and I respect that!
- Meg Jerrard at Mapping Megan is a serious workhorse and sometimes I’m not sure HOW she does it all. She is the moderator of many travel groups I’m involved in, posts nearly daily, is really nice, and to top it off, has a seriously amazing blog. She’s GREAT!
- Jason Harris from Jays Odyssey has also been instrumental in assisting me with approaching companies and building my travel blog into a business! His blog hosts interviews with prolific and influential travel bloggers. I’m looking forward to interviewing with him about my blog soon!
4. What are 3 things about you that would surprise your readers?
I’m somewhat of an open book. Hahaha! I’m not sure anything would surprise them but I’ll give it a whirl.
- As outgoing as I am, I actually have a huge fear of public speaking. I’ve been trying to break it for years!
- I’m an INCREDIBLY spiritual person, but do not practice any type of religion and was not raised religious. I actually call myself a clean hippie.
- I’m happy most of the time, but if you catch me really HANGRY or tired (NOT a morning person) I could probably punch you for no reason.
- BONUS FACT: I also have one fat toe thumb. (Google Megan Fox toe thumb) It’s so fat, I actually had a woman at a nail salon ask me what happened to it in a concerned manner. I replied, “I was born with it.” It was a rather amusing conversation. Guess you had to be there!
5. What is your dream vacation?
As a person who travels frequently, my bucket list is constantly being updated. My dream vacation is a trip around the world, starting with a hike in Peru, mixed with finding peace and love in Bali, to going on a safari adventure in Africa! I’m sure there would be a few other things mixed in! 🙂 Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, Cuba, and Greece are high on my list of places to see at the moment. Oh, and if I don’t see the Northern Lights soon, I’ll probably implode.
6. What is your favorite social media channel?
My favorite social media channel is Instagram because it’s such a visually appealing and easy platform to use. It also inspires my creativity and makes me yearn to be a better photographer! Facebook is a close second, because believe it or not, 80% of the people on my Facebook are actually real friends. Now, what degree of friends they are, that’s a different story. Everyone’s opinion is valid to me though.
7. What is your favorite childhood desert? What is it now?
I have no idea what my favorite childhood dessert was because I have the memory of a goldfish, but it’s been cheesecake with strawberries and whip cream for many years. In fact, once when I was a child I got busted eating a tub of Cool Whip under my grams table. I don’t remember how old I was. Probably 12. True story! (except the age part) Frankly, I’d probably do it today if I could do it without my friends thinking I’m weird.
8. Do you live in a small town or big city? Describe it!
I live in Phoenix, Arizona at the moment, and while I do appreciate the fact that the rent here is extremely affordable, I’m getting fairly tired of looking at the desert! Of course, if I drive just 2 hours, I can be in Flagstaff, Arizona which is a completely different landscape of trees and plush green. I appreciate the fact that Phoenix is a city which is large enough to host a wide variety of community and networking events, and that its lightrail system is easy to navigate, but I wish that the community was a little more thriving. Like LA, the city is so spread out, it is hard to attain a thriving community. One thing you must know, however, is that the Phoenix Comicon is actually regarded as one of the best, besides Comicon in San Diego of course.
9. What is your favorite quote?
It’s funny because while I love many quotes, but I don’t think I’ve ever picked a favorite. Of all of them I love, I think I’d claim this one as my favorite because not only does it relate to my passion for travel, it also rests on the premise that it is your perception of the world which ultimately creates your worldview, and thus, your “voyage” or life’s path.
10. Are you married or in a serious relationship? Do you have any pets or kids?
I’m in a serious relationship and have no pets or kids, BUT I’m itching to get a dog or cat!
WHO DID I NOMINATE FOR THE LIEBSTER AWARD?
It takes more patience and perseverance to have a blog than most people understand! I applaud you all for investing your time in blogging, and I’m excited to announce that I’ve nominated these 9 bloggers for the Liebster Award:
Ally from Hydro Supra Licked
Roy from Roy Miller Marketing
Rachael from Her After
Dani Rose from Sincerely Dani Rose
Lita from Lita Loves
Arielle from The Blogin Button
Kayla from Kayla’s Five Things
Haley from Haley’s Life in Color
Crystal from Point A to B
MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU:
- What are the pros and cons of being a blogger?
- Pick 5 people, (dead or alive), you’d want to have a dinner party with!
- If you were stranded on an island, but had all of the necessary supplies to LIVE, name 3 other things you would you want
- What are your other passions in life?
- Name one of the funniest moments you’ve ever had happen.
- What do you think makes you unique?
- What are your top 5 websites you visit most often?
- Would you view yourself as extroverted, introverted, or somewhere along the spectrum?
- What’s your Myers Briggs personality assessment type? Do you think it’s fitting?
- Name 3 books or movies that had a profound impact on you.
Congratulations on your Liebster Award!